Skip to main content

Slow cooked Beef Ragu


In the previous post, I detailed how to make fresh Pappardelle pasta - I served this with the slow-cooked Beef Ragu. Consider this a posh spag bol! Honestly, this is my fave!



Serves 4

You'll need:


  • 2 tbsp of good quality olive oil
  • 500g of good quality beef steak mince (or for a vegetarian option use 250g of diced chestnut mushrooms and 200g of Puy Lentils)
  • 1 glass of red wine or glass of port.
  • 4 cloves of garlic - minced
  • 1 medium carrot - finely diced
  • 1 medium brown onion- finely diced
  • 2 stalks of celery - finely diced
  • 2 Tsp Dried Oregano
  • 500g of passata
  • 1 tbsp of tomato puree
  • 1 stalk of rosemary & a couple of bay leaves.
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Fresh Basil
  • Large Saucepan with a lid
  • Patience 

How I did it!:


  • Once you have very finely diced your onion, carrots and celery, heat your pan and pour in a glug of good quality olive oil and slowly sweat down your veg mix. Don't be tempted to whack the heat up on this stage, the slower you sweat down the veg the more depth of flavour your ragu will have.
  • I sweated mine down for approx 15-20 mins. 
  • Once your veg has turned translucent and has a good level of caramelisation add your minced garlic and cook for another 5 minutes.
  • Take your veg out of your pan and put it to one side. 
  • Then in batches brown off your mince - making sure you do this in small batches so you get some good colour on your meat. If you overcrowd your pan your meat will sort of boil in its own juices which doesn't give the desired texture or flavour. (If you're doing the vegetarian option, brown off your chestnut mushrooms and add your lentils to your veg mix at this stage.)
  • Once your meat has browned, add in the veg mix, Rosemary, Bay leaves & dried Oregano and crank up the heat. Pour in your wine or Port and simmer on medium heat for a few minutes or until 50% of the wine has evaporated. 
  • Add a good squeeze of Tomato puree (approx 1 tbsp) and your Passata. 
  • Turn the heat down to low heat and allow the Ragu to simmer for approx 45 mins -1hour. Stirring occasionally.
  • Season generously or to your taste and stir in a good handful of freshly torn basil leaves before serving.  Serve with fresh Pappardelle pasta.


I hope you enjoy!

Char
xxx


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are you even in Lockdown unless you make fresh Pasta?

With the UK going nuts for bog roll and baking ingredients - I imagine it is easier to get class A drugs than a bag of strong white flour at the moment! With that in mind, I'd normally recommend 00 flour for pasta, however, whatever you have will do as long as it's not self-raising!  Like a lot of people, I went through a range of emotions when social distancing measures where imposed- especially when they closed schools and nurseries! I had positive days where I did home workouts and yoga in the garden listening to the bird song. I also had days where I cried and felt intense guilt for having to go to the supermarket to get milk and a relentless sense of impending doom.  I think this dish was the catalyst that reignited my love of cooking (I didn't realise that it had gone until I made this) and actually gave me something to focus my mind.  The best thing about this dish is that you don't need to own a pasta machine that will just sit in a cupboard gatheri

Chicken Katsu Curry

This dish has probably been the most requested recipe from any of my friends or family who has tasted it. I can't explain how delicious this is! Whilst it has quite a few processes involved, I promise you it is worth the washing up!  Chicken Katsu Curry with Sticky sushi rice is one of the all-time favourite Japanese dishes here in the UK. What's not to love? Crispy fried chicken, Spicy but sweet curry sauce and sticky rice? YUM! Traditionally the chicken would be coated in Panko breadcrumbs and deep-fried, delicious but calorie-dense and not so great for the old arteries. This version is much healthier saving a lot of calories and better for your ticker too.  I will split this recipe up into 2 components making it a bit easier to follow- Serves 2 I haven't added the rice here, because of it being complete preference as to how you want to serve this. I often serve with a microwave bag of Thai Jasmine rice or Basmati just for ease. However, if you do want to cook rice, make